Thursday 8 November 2012

Running for fun, or running from zombies!

Since my mom visited yesterday, I decided to move my run yesterday from the morning, to after work last night.  I closed the store and headed home (and had to charge my phone first since it was dead and I use a running app!) Let me tell you, I did *not* want to run last night.  By the time I got home, changed and charged my phone it was after 9 pm.  My feet ached from work and I was exhausted, but I knew that I would not want to run in the morning either before work.  So I talked Dan into coming into the basement with me while I ran just for company and that worked.  I'm glad I didn't think too hard about it, or I might have just put it off.  I finished around 10:15 pm which is a lot later than I usually run, but not too bad since I didn't have to be up early today.

I only have one more day left!  On day 3 I run for 30 minutes straight.

So the run wasn't too bad, I started at 4.2 mph and changed it up to 4.3 for awhile, and then down to 4.1 when I started getting shin splints.


So I went 2.5 Miles again (4 km) but I ended up burning slightly more calories today.  Probably because I had 3 extra running minutes this time, where as last time I walked instead.  This run was tough for probably the first three quarters of a mile, then my body loosened up.  I really didn't like running after work!  My foot ended up aching (the one where I stubbed the toes the other night) and when I was done running I only cooled down for the minimum 5 minutes and regretted it.  When I was stretching I was getting light headed and spots around the edges of my vision.  Basically my heart rate dropped too quickly.  So I sat down on the couch while Dan made me toast and peanut butter, then resumed my stretches after a few minutes of resting.

I always have a snack after working out.  A protein filled snack is what I always chose. (There are a million articles online as to why you should have protein either before, during or after a workout.  Basically your tearing muscle fibers when you workout and protein is how you replace them quickly.  It helps you in the long run).  Either peanut butter power balls, or peanut butter in another form.  Sometimes a protein shake, but I prefer to actually eat something.  I'm not sure how to describe it, but when you have a yummy snack after working your butt off, it's soooooo amazing.  Let me tell you, that piece of toast with PB felt sinful!

I've had a few people ask exactly what c25k is.  c25k  or couch to 5k is a running program that takes someone who is not athletic and trains them so they "should" be able to run a 5k in 9 weeks.  Sounds daunting, but it's actually a pretty easy program.  There are also "pre c25k" programs you can start if you're not sure if you can do c25k, and there are also couch to 10k programs available.  What's nice about it, is that you can modify it any way you need!  I remember I repeated week one, and I repeated week 3.  Later on I repeated certain days in week 5.  You can either increase speed or incline to change up your workout too.



Here is a snippet of the first three weeks from this website.  As you can see, it starts off pretty slowly.  (It might not seem like it, but after you finish you'll see how easy it is!)

You can find podcasts online that you can listen to that will tell you when to run or jog.  Or you can find apps for iPhone/iPod, Android and windows devices.  There are even zombie running apps!  Dan has one that is a drill sergeant.  It's hilarious to be reading upstairs while he's on the treadmill and all of a sudden I hear "RRRUUUNNNNNN!!"  Or the drill sergeant yelling "WALLLKKKKK!".  Mine is pretty laid back, it's just a dude saying, "Run now." haha.

Last night I tried running with no podcast/music so I could visit with Dan.  That was a no go, and probably part of the reason why the first part of the run was tough.  Usually I either listen to CBC laugh out loud podcasts (hey, it's fun to run and giggle!) or I'll listen to the half size me podcasts.  If I'm not up to those, then I'll listen to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack or the Sweeny Todd soundtrack.  (Yes, I know I'm a weirdo!  I listen to them when I want to concentrate on distance/speed and I'm not paying attention to what I'm hearing).

I chose running for a workout because I always liked the idea of running for fun.  Sometimes when I'm out for a walk I get this bounce in my step and this light feeling like I could just take off running.  I love the idea of the cool breeze on my face and seeing beautiful scenery.  That's what pushed me into it.  One time when Dan and I where hiking in BC we came across trail runners, and I thought that would be so cool.  So that might be a later goal.  

You wont see me doing gym workouts, Zumba, or anything else along those lines.  I like the idea of running, it makes me feel good.  Workouts like aerobics is just designed for a workout or for cardio/weight loss and to me I'm waiting for it to be over and I can easily find excuses to quit going.  I find them to be a drag.  I don't always enjoy running, but I'm also not at my goal yet of being able to just run for fun.  I feel like I'm still in the beginner phase.

What workout do you enjoy the most?



6 comments:

  1. Yeah zombies! Actually those might be fun, if I ever got into running! But I think I'd stick with regular ones just so I wouldn't hurt myself falling over laughing about zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try that program but am worried I won't be able to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why worry when you can try? Try the pre-c25k if you're worried about starting c25k. Seriously, it might be challenging (mentally mostly) but it's not impossible. In fact it's not anywhere near impossible. You'll never know unless you try.

      Delete
  3. You know I've never been drawn into trail running - probably because i'd find it so hard! haha

    Way to go on the workout! even after not feeling like it at all - those are the biggest wins!

    I find it INCREDIBLY challenging to run with no music/tv/entertainment. It's a mental game more than anything at that point! hm!
    Have a loooooovely friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm returning the visit, and I find your posts inspiring! Keep up the good work!
    I also find it difficult to run with out entertainment. Especially on the treadmill. My treadmill is in our gutted basement: dirty, dark and smelly. I have a portable dvd player I set up, but even with that, or podcasts or music, the most I have ever been able to crank out down there is around half an hour. For now I'm a hold out outside...until we get snow banks making it too dangerous on my country roads, that's where I'll be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is in the dark basement too, however we have probably close to a foot of snow already and lots of ice and I feel bad paying for a gym member ship when I have the beast in the basement. So down to the dungeon for me!

      Delete